Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Shape Unit Freebie

Boy....I haven't been sleeping well at all.  Like 9 hours in 3 nights.  Today I was feeling it.  I came home to work on my next letter activity packet because I need it by next week for my class too.  The next thing I know, I'm waking up and it's dark.  I slept from 3-7.  I feel so much better!
So this post will be a little short but it includes a freebie!
I'm almost done with 2D shapes.  Well..not done because it will spiral all year but done with the major portion of them.  I will assess it next week but it's been so much fun.  I've been doing all the activities from my You Better Shape Up:  A Differentiated Shapes Unit and they kids just ate it up....literally!

Every activity in this unit is differentiated to meet the needs of different learners in your classroom. It is CCSS correlated with I can...statement posters (for your learning target/goal) for every activity. Just like the CCSS, this unit focuses on shapes in our environment as well as regular shapes.

Here are the activities my kids and I did: 
-shape printables to practice tracing, drawing, and attributes of shapes-
-four different shape sort printables with shapes in the environment as well as regular shapes-
-Ready To Go I can... Statements for your Learning Targets for each individual lesson along with CCSS correlation and directions for each lesson-
-two Write the Room activities...kids adored this-
-marshmallow/toothpick shapes....way too fun!-
-attribute sort-
-shape sort center activity-
-Shape Monster Craftivity with a compare & contrast writing activity to accompany it-
-anchor charts-
-shapes in our classroom & school hunts-
-playdough mats-
-curved -vs- straight activity-

I have also included a variety of differentiated assessments to use as formative assessments throughout the unit or summative assessments at the end of the unit.  Here are some previews of the unit: 













The Marshmallow Shapes Fun activity was a big hit in my room!  Here are some of the little cuties making their shapes. 


It was a great way to teach corners and sides because it was very concrete...the sticks were the sides and the marshmallows were the corners.  They even realized really quick that they could not make a circle or oval....so a discussion continued that circles and ovals do not have corners or sides....good stuff!

So.....I would like to give you the Marshmallow Shapes Fun Activity from my unit!  Click on the picture below to download this for free.  I would love it if you would pin some of the previews of this unit....I would really appreciate it :)

Marshmallow Shapes Fun Freebie
Time to go back to sleep!  Feel free to ask if you have any questions...I'd be glad to help in any way.





1 comment:

  1. Looks like a ton of fun! Can't wait to use it with my niece!! Thank you!!

    www.learnintoteach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Come back and see me soon!